Holacracy Community of Practice Archive, 2015-2019 Community Holacracy Web Site

4.2.2 Attendance

4.2.2 says that "All Core Circle Members and anyone else normally invited to participate in the Circle’s Governance Meetings are also invited to participate in its Tactical Meetings..."  I assume the "normally invited" is just a reference to 3.2.2 which calls out the option of bringing guests (for Lead/Rep Link).  If that's the case, is it also intended that Links can invite a guest to a Tactical meeting?  It seems like 4.1.4 also implies this (a Link could "convey the duty" of meeting attendance), but perhaps in that case, it isn't a guest, it would be a replacement for the Link at the meeting.

I likely will have a follow-up question, but I want to first make sure I correctly understand about bringing guests to Tactical.

8 Replies
Danila
08/25/2017

Guests are not "normally invited" — they're invited to process one particular tension.

I'd say it's more about core members without roles (assigned by LL) or Cross-Links, for example, although they're supposed to Core Members. Another example might be acting Facilitator that is not normally a Core Member of a Circle (see 3.3.1).

And of course — there might be a Policy, inviting someone for whatever arbitrary reasons there might be.

Tom Mulder
08/25/2017

[@mention:549059653907130620] This article relates to article 3.3.1 which cleary indicates which roles can attend.

Margaux
08/25/2017

Hi Geoff,

My understanding is that you can't have a non-core circle member in the tactical meeting even invited by a link.

And this makes sense because all the tensions brought to tactical meetings can be processed outside of this meeting (which is not true for governance).

If a person is simply a circle member, she can use the article 4, rights and duties between circle members.

If a person is not a circle member (i.e. has no role in the circle), then she can use the 4.1.4 “4.1.4 Links May Convey Duties

As a Lead Link, Rep Link, or Cross Link into a Circle, you may invite someone else to engage the Circle Members of the Circle in the duties specified in this section. You may only extend this invitation to aid in the processing of a specific Tension affecting the entity you are linked from, and only if you also sense the Tension and stay engaged in its processing. The person you invite temporarily becomes a full Circle Member, as if he or she also fills your link role, but only while directly processing that specific Tension. You may withdraw this invitation anytime.”

So in both cases, they don't need to attend the tactical meeting.

The “and anyone else normally invited to participate in the Circle's Governance meeting” refers to 3.3.1 Attendance “... Beyond those listed in this paragraph, no one else is allowed to participate in a Circle’s Governance Meetings unless explicitly invited by a Policy of the Circle.”.

The only case I can see here is Cross Link but a Cross Link is already defined as a Core Circle Member so I don't really see what kind of policy we could have here. But anyway, this policy would apply also for tactical meetings. [@mention:449693036223847456]: any example of a policy as referred to on 3.3.1?

Geoff
08/25/2017

Thanks [@mention:523162737680436711].  3.3.1 is actually what I had intended to refer to (not 3.2.2).

[@mention:449693036337664795], the "... Beyond those listed in this paragraph..." you reference follows the paragraph about links being able to invite an additional person.  That's what got me wondering if the guest rule also applies to Tactical.  Your interpretation makes sense, however.  Perhaps the "... normally invited ..." should be interpreted to exclude guests as those aren't "normally" invited.

I guess I'm curious if anyone has a different take on this.

Margaux
08/25/2017
I don't think so because it says "no one else [...] unless..."
Margaux
08/25/2017

Plus, there is already a system dealing with exclusion of core circle member (circle member only).

Geoff
08/25/2017

"Beyond those listed in this paragraph, no one else is allowed to participate..."  Those listed in this paragraph includes "Lead Link and any Rep Links or Cross Links to the Circle may each invite up to one additional person".  So for Governance, they can bring people that don't normally attend.  The fundamental question is whether or not 4.2.2 considers "one additional person" to be part of those "normally invited".  [@mention:560460946271433103]'s opinion seems to be no.  I think that's what you're saying as well, but for different reasons.

Stephen Michel
08/28/2017
The relevant section has been re-written already in the latest development version, so this conversation will become irrelevant if these changes make it into the next published version. https://github.com/holacracyon...on.md#251-attendance