Holacracy Community of Practice Archive, 2015-2019 Community Holacracy Web Site

3.3.1 interpretation

3.3.1 says "In addition, the Lead Link and any Rep Links or Cross Links to the Circle may each invite up to one additional person, solely to aid the link in processing a specific Tension. The invited participant then becomes a Core Circle Member as well for the duration of that Governance Meeting."

If one additional person is present will be processing only a specific Tension ("solely to aid in processing a specific Tension") or also the other tensions expressed "for the duration of that Governance Meeting"?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
Francesco Lomonaco
01/20/2018

My interpretation is that she would not be able to process other tensions because she would not be able to raise valid objections. In that case, she would be a Core Circle Member for the duration of the Governance Meeting (check-in, administrative concerns, building agenda, closing) but only for the specific tension. Is my interpretation correct? Thanks.

Bernard Marie Chiquet
01/20/2018

[@mention:491073019750087335] As this person is considered as a core circle member during the meeting, in my interpretation she may do anything allowed by the process, like asking clarifying questions, giving a reaction, an objection (NVGO for instance) and participate during integration if any.

Francesco Lomonaco
01/21/2018

Thanks for your answer. For me, this rule does not make much sense, because if she is there "solely to aid the link in processing a specific Tension" why she should work on other governance tensions probably completely out of context for her? Still puzzled.

Tom Mulder
01/21/2018

Francesco, the Constitution states what Bernard Marie says (art 3.2) but I agree with you that it is a bit of.

One of the main concerns is that these people will not Propose or Object from a role that is part of the Circle and therefor, most of the time, either will have invalid Proposals or Proposals that have nothing to do with the Circle's Governance or will object to help another Role or the Circle in general.

In practice you see that these Invitees only take part in the Process when the specific Tension is handled. Agree with you that the Constitution is vague in this sense. 

Bernard Marie Chiquet
01/21/2018
Francesco Lomonaco posted:

Thanks for your answer. For me, this rule does not make much sense, because if she is there "solely to aid the link in processing a specific Tension" why she should work on other governance tensions probably completely out of context for her? Still puzzled.

In such case, the invited person may leave the meeting whenever she wants, she also may ask the Facilitator to process such tension in priority so that she would not waste her time, etc..

I would recommend here just to follow the tension if any. In some cases, those invited persons may be happy to stay during the whole meeting and contribute by asking questions, reacting... who knows. The invited person is a sovereign entity - may choose how to best use their time - IMO no need here to save them by ruling what they should do.